Skip to content

Temporary Food Event Permit


When is a permit required?

A temporary food permit is required when an individual or group intends to serve food to the public at one location for a period of 21 days or less in conjunction with a single event or celebration. Each permit application is reviewed using HACCP analysis to assure that safe food preparation and handling techniques are used. An Environmental Health Specialist will inspect temporary food events to assure that food service is conducted in accordance with safe food handling practices.

A temporary food permit will always be required when serving food to the public that requires cooking/heating, cold holding, or any other non-shelf stable product.

How to get a Permit?

1. Fill out a Temporary Food Establishment application.

Here is the application to get the process started: LCHD Temporary Food Permit Application. Please call (509) 215-1034 with any questions. 

A paper copy of the application is available to pick up at the Public Health office at 90 Nicholls St, Davenport, WA 99122

Here is a detailed checklist to follow when preparing and setting up for an event Temporary Food Event Setup checklist.

2. A completed application must be submitted with any required supplemental information.

Application may be submitted by email to or in person to the Public Health office. 

3. Pay permit fee

The fee is $35 per day if filled out and paid seven (7) days in advance of the event date. The fee is $50 per day for submission less than 7 days in advance.

We accept local checks, cash, money orders or debit and credit cards. All payments can be made in-person at the Public Health office. The only payments that can be processed over the phone, (509) 725-1001, are payments made by debit or credit card. Debit and credit card payments incur a $2.50 additional fee.

4. The submitted application will be reviewed by the Health Department.

Part of the review process includes a small interview with the applicant. A phone interview will be conducted to ensure all rules and regulations of the propose food booth are met. If the application is submitted in-person, interviews can easily be done at the time of submission.

5. If requested by Environmental Health Specialist, any other information must be submitted. 

6. Permit is issued.

The permit can be picked up at the Public Health office or emailed as a PDF.

During the Event

Please post the permit in your booth at the event.

Follow all safe food practices

WA State Dept of Health Food Safety Rules and Regulations

A Health Inspector will visit the event to observe and inspect each food stand.


Only a few specific foods are exempt from a food permit. Those include the following:

  • Popcorn (including kettle corn)
  • Cotton candy
  • Dried herbs and spices (if processed in an approved facility)
  • Machine-crushed ice drinks (if made with non-potentially hazardous ingredients and ice from an approved source)
  • Corn on the cob (if roasted for immediate service)
  • Whole roasted peppers (if roasted for immediate service)
  • Roasted nuts and peanuts (including candy-coated)
  • Chocolate dipped ice cream bars (if made with commercially packaged ice cream bars)
  • Chocolate dipped bananas (if made with bananas peeled and frozen in an approved facility)
  • Sliced fruits and vegetables for sampling (if used for individual samples of non-potentially hazardous produce)
  • Other common exempt products: Individually packaged and sealed foods that do not need to be refrigerated or cooked (shelf stable) such as bottled or canned drinks, bagged chips, etc.

Please call the Public Health office before applying for an Exempt Food Permit application at 509-215-1034.